Wednesday 1 July 2009

Blog Banter #9 - Removal of Anchoring Delay of POS modules

Welcome to the ninth installment of the EVE Blog Banter and its first contest, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

"Last month Ga'len asked us which game mechanic we would most like to see added to EVE. This month Keith "WebMandrill" Nielson proposes to reverse the question and ask what may be a controversial question: Which game mechanic would you most like to see removed completely from EVE and why? I can see this getting quite heated so lets keep it civil eh?"

My Big Idea

Well, I've found this hard to come up with ideas and I did come up with 2 in draft for this banter - but eventually it dawned on me the one thing that bugs me is Anchoring delays. Now as a lot of people have probably read in my blog - I don't have a POS up yet, but I have researched the mechanics, and hope I've covered what bugs me. I may end up looking like an Idiot, but will put it out there "I have not done this yet"

Anchoring fullstop bugs me - as you eject something in space, and it stays there - if its no subject to gravity etc. If it does need to thrust to stay in position, it isn't exactly a complex science - every action has an equal and opposite reaction - so if you are moving in direction X, fire thruster in opposite direction with same thrust. You then stay still. Are we seriously saying a starbase/gun array takes 5 minutes to do that? In the future?

Why remove the delay? Well, the delay mechanic is already there, in the Onlining (and offlineing) delay - why should there be a countdown delay to a POS actually being put in space with what I've mentioned? Anchoring to me seems a delay that doesn't need to be there. To counter this, and stop "ninja" pos's of course CCP will need to increase the onlining delay of towers themselves, probably via an equivalent amount.... But, tactically being able to drop a module into place immediately - and maybe reducing onlinging delay on weapons modules, the whole concept of POS warface could be made a little more tactical perhaps?

Some may say this is an over simplication - but maybe a delay on ejecting modules from ship would equally be more realistic than a "I'm floating in space and er, need to calibrate to not move".

Personally - Anchoring just is a idea that takes away from the Universe of EVE, as it doesn't feel a realistic concept.

The Other Thing

Rather than lose the other idea, I thought I'd put it out there in shorthand form. Standings requirements for Jump Clones - especially for Newbies - Why are they still there? My proposal is to remove these requirements for the first 1 or 2 clones, to allow the New pilots the use of instant clone jump travel over the Universe - which in the end reduces grind and travel time - but also may allow Newbies with impants to risk more by going into Low sec with implantless clones. And yes, I know you can get implants via a service corp or a big corp who already has standings, or a capital clone bay, but why should a new player be forced down this route immediately?

I'm sure the Pirates will love this idea, but its not entirely for them - I feel this is a good idea overall- as many characters I personally have ran into steer clear of low-sec, which is plain wrong. With the right caution its mostly harmless - and offers potentially more excitement to the game - nothing gets heart pumping for me more than outrunning or hiding from a silly pirate that is out to get me...

List of Participants:
  1. Diary of a Space Jockey, Blog Banter: BE GONE!
  2. EVE Newb, (EVE) Remove You
  3. Miner With Fangs, Blog Banter - It's the Scotch
  4. The Eden Explorer, Blog Banter: The Map! The Map!
  5. The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, "Beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, mushroom, MUSHROOM!!!"
  6. Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Kill the Rats
  7. Mercspector @ EVE, Scotty
  8. EVE's Weekend Warrior, EVE Blog Banter #9
  9. Miner with Fangs, Blog Banter - It's the Scotch
  10. A Merry Life and a Short One, Eve Blog Banter #9: Why Won't You Die?
  11. Into the unknown with gun and camera, Blog Banter – The Hokey Cokey
  12. The Flightless Geek, EVE Blog Banter #9: Remove a Game Mechanic
  13. Sweet Little Bad Girl, Blog Banter 9: Who is Nibbling at My House?
  14. One Man and His Spaceship, Blog Banter 9: What could you do without?
  15. Life in Low Sec, EVE Blog Banter #9: Stop Tarnishing My Halo
  16. Cle Demaari: Citizen, Blog Banter #9: Training for all my men!
  17. A Mule in EVE, He who giveth, also taketh away?
  18. Dense Veldspar, Blog Banter 9
  19. Morphisat’s Blog, Blog Banter #9 – Randomness Be Gone !
  20. Facepalm's Blog, EVE Blog Banter #9: What a new pilot could do without
  21. Memoires of New Eden, You're Fired
  22. Kyle Langdon's Journeys in EVE, EVE Blog Banter #9 Titans? What's a Titan?
  23. Achernar, The gates! The gates are down!
  24. Speed Fairy, EVE Blog Banter #9: Down with Downtime!
  25. I am Keith Neilson, EVE Blog Banter #9-F**K Da Police
  26. Ripe Lacunae, The UI… Where do I begin… (Eve Blog Banter #9)
  27. Clown Punchers, EvE Blogs: What game mechanic would you get rid of?
  28. More articles as they are posted!

1 comment:

Kyle Langdon said...

I like the jump clone idea. IT is agravating to have to get 8.0 standing with a corp or get a rorqual. Some people (your's truly) hate missioning but love the pew and we suffer if we can't get a jump clone and end up podded.

Also, I have no experience with POS deployment so I reserve judgment on that idea but it makes sense to me.